Friday, December 31, 2010

Returning

For some time now I have been meditating on the story of the prodigal son. It is a story on returning. I realize, and can certainly relate to, the importance of returning over and over again. My life drifts away from God. I have to return. My heart moves away from my first love. I have to return. My mind wanders to ungodly thoughts. I have to return. Returning is a lifelong struggle.

For the first time it struck me that the wayward son had purely selfish motives. He said to himself, "How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father." He didn't return because he had a renewed love for his father. No, he returned simply to survive. He had finally discovered that the way he had chosen was leading him to death. Returning to his father was necessary to staying alive. He realized that he had sinned, but he only came to that realization because his sin had brought him to the brink of death.

I love the fact that the father didn't require any higher or purer motivation. His love was so total and unconditional that he simply welcomed his son home.

This is such an encouraging thought. God doesn't require a pure heart before embracing us. Even if we return only because following our own desires failed to bring happiness, God will take us back. Even if we return because living for Him brings more peace than living like a viking, God will take us back. Even if we return because our sins did not offer as much satisfaction as we had hoped, God will take us back. Even if we return because we couldn't make it on our own, God will take us back. God's love does not require any explanation as to why we are returning. God is glad to see us home and wants to bless us, just for being home.

God has shown his grace to me as the son. I pray he shows his grace to me to be the father as well.

3 comments:

  1. That was great, Kenny! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "God's love does not require any explanation as to why we are returning. God is glad to see us home and wants to bless us, just for being home."

    Now that's a quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to read the post and also encouraging me with a comment guys.

    ReplyDelete